Practice and Meet Schedule
Nagel Swim Information 2019-2020 Season
Welcome! Thanks for your interest in Nagel Swim
Coaches: Laura Black and Ali Schirmer
- Physical must be on file in the front office (printed and signed by a physician).
- Please complete ALL information in Final Forms by Thursday, October 31. To access Final Forms, go to: https://nagelathletics.foresthills.edu/linksforms
- If you participated in a fall sport, your physical and information is saved, you just need to click “swimming” as your winter sport.
- Please take care of Final Forms ASAP so we can assess numbers for the team and are able to send E-mails to the group.
- Each swimmer must be able to safely and legally swim a 50 yard freestyle. (2 lengths of the pool- down and back).
- Swimmers will swim sets based on their abilities. Total yardage for practices will vary. (500-1500 is typical).
- Although we would love to have this be a non-cut sport, the safety of all swimmers in the pool is a priority.
- Cuts may be necessary depending on numbers. Ideal pool occupancy is 42 swimmers. If our numbers exceed this, then we may split into two practice groups or make cuts.
- Circle swimming will be necessary as there can be up to 8 swimmers in a lane.
- Background knowledge in diving off starting blocks and flip turns is encouraged but not necessary to make the team.
- Nagel suit and cap must be worn for each meet. (this is your uniform)
- Goggles are necessary for practice and meets- purchase more than 1 pair!.
- Nagel Caps should be worn at practices, NOT Club caps.
- Pay to Participate: Please wait to pay this fee until you are sure your swimmer will be continuing with the season. $125. Must be paid prior to the first meet.
To pay, go here: https://www.locallevelevents.com/events/details/7458
- Uniforms: Team suit will be purchased by the swimmer and kept after the season. Girls is $60 Boys $36. Returning 8th graders need not buy a suit unless it doesn’t fit. Caps will be given to swimmers free of charge. Goggles can be purchased at the parent meeting on Oct. 24th from Swimville. Dicks Sporting Goods, or other athletic stores may have them too.
- Meet fees: Nagel Athletic Department takes care of entrance fees for the teams. Spectators may be charged admittance to watch the meet. Heat sheets may or may not be available, that depends on Host Team. (bring some cash if you’re attending a meet)
Communication with Coaches:
- If you will be missing a practice or meet, a parent must e-mail the reason prior to practice/meet.
- 7th Grade send to Laura Black firstname.lastname@example.org
- 8th Grade send to Ali Schirmer email@example.com
- If no email is sent, this will be an unexcused practice. 3 unexcused absences may result in removal from the team.
- Inclement Weather- if road conditions are unsafe, and school has not been canceled/delayed, then attending practice is under the discretion of the parent and would be excused with a follow up email.
- Once the team is set, a Remind 101 account will be created for communication with parents on meet reminders, schedule changes, and last-minute practice cancellations due to weather.
- Practices will be held Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings at Turpin High School Pool (in the Dungeon) 6:15-7:15 am.
- Students arrive dressed in their suits (with warm clothes over top) at 6:00 AM.
- Swimmers in the pool promptly @ 6:15 AM.
- Locker rooms will be available before and after practice.
- Practice will end at 7:10 AM.
- Students must be picked up from Turpin no later than 7:30 AM- Activity Lobby.
- Bring a towel, goggles, cap and warm clothes to wear after practice.
- Nagel caps will be given to swimmers before the first meet.
- Don’t leave things in lockers overnight. Take all things home with you.
- Club swimmers must attend at least 1 practice per week. Please communicate with day with coach.
- Practice/Meet Calendar - check back for updates
- Parents must provide transportation to and from practices at Turpin. Students should be dropped off/picked up outside of the Athletic Lobby (nearest the football field/track).
- Busses will be provided to and from all meets. All athletes must ride the bus to the meet. We encourage swimmers to ride home on the bus as this creates team unity.
- If you must take them home from a meet, you must complete a Forest Hills Alternate Transportation Form. You may complete ONE for the entire season, but it must be turned into the front office and signed by the Athletic Director.
- Parents still need to sign out their child (face to face with a coach) at the end of the meet. Swimmers will NOT be allowed to leave the swim meet until it’s over.
- Online meet schedule (see NMS Athletic Website or our linked calendar)
- Meets known at this time: Meet start times vary. (4:30/5:30 typically)
- Bus will leave right after school for meets- students do NOT go home after school. They will change into suits and sweats before loading the bus.
- Saturday, November 23 @ Turpin HS. “Mock Meet” 11:30 WU/12 Start
(NO transportation provided for the intrasquad meet- parents drive)
- Monday, December 9 @ Walnut Hills. 5:00 WU/ 5:30 Start
- Thursday, December 12 @ Mariemont. 4:00 WU/ 4:30 Start
- Thursday, December 19 @ Sycamore. 4:30 WU/ 5:00 Start
- Monday, January 13 @ Mason. 4:30 WU/ 5:00 Start
- Tuesday, January 14 @ Fairfield. 5:00 WU/ 5:30 Start
- Saturday, January 25th- Champs -@ Princeton HS. 9:00 Start WU-TBD
(must swim in 2 previous meets to swim at Champs)
Swim Meet Etiquette/ What to expect:
- Swimmers will stay for the entire meet, no leaving early. (unless emergency).
- Middle School meets are relatively quick- typically last about 1 ½ hours.
- Diving will NOT be offered to Nagel Student-Athletes this year.
- NO cell phones or other electronic devices out on pool deck. Tucked safely away out of sight. Water will damage electronics!
- Cheer on other swimmers along or at the end of the pool.
- Stay on pool deck with other swimmers- don’t hang out with your parents in the stands or in the locker room/ bathroom.
- Parents stay in the stands unless volunteering as timer.
- Bring snacks that are NOT messy or crumbly and a water bottle.
- Bring 2 towels- one for during the meet, one for afterwards.
- Warm clothes for the deck and dry ones for afterwards.
- Showers will not be available at away meets. Plan accordingly.
- Parents should NOT approach a coach on deck during the meet. Please be respectful that we are coaching and must keep our attention on our swimmers.
Meet Order of Events:
A middle school swim meet includes 10 events, one beginning relay, 8 events, and then one end relay. Swimmers are allowed to compete in a maximum of 3 events: 1 relay and 2 individual, OR 2 relays and 1 individual event. Boys and Girls compete in the same heat and are also mixed for relays. Their individual events are scored separately.
Order of Events: * Diving may be before or after the meet. Host School’s preference.
200 medley relay
200 Free Relay
Meet Expectations and Requirements
- Club Crossover date is December 16th. At this point, CLUB swimmers may no longer compete with their club teams, they may practice, .but may not compete until after our Champs Meet on Saturday, January 25th. You may cross over earlier.
- Not all swimmers may attend all meets- depends on host school and lane assignments, and also number of Nagel swimmers.
- Must swim in at least 2 Nagel meets to qualify for Champs meet on January 25th.
- Champs meet is for the top 3 swimmers in each individual event. Those attending would be notified at least a week before the meet. (Qualifying times TBD)
Diving: There will be no diving offered for Nagel students this year.
Parent Volunteer Opportunities!
-Parent Photographer- take pictures at meets, create an avenue for parents to access pictures (website, link, google drive, etc). Coordinate with coach.
- Help organize the Pasta Party prior to Champs meet. Nagel’s Cafetorium. For all swimmers and their families. Date TBD.
- Breakfast last week of practice?!
-Timers at meets if needed. (no experience required!)
-2 Timers are needed for the Championship Meet (your fee for the meet is waived)
- Thursday, October 17th Swimmer Meeting @ 3:15-4:15 room 240 (may ride the activity bus home if needed)
- Thursday, October 24th
- 6pm-7pm. Parent Informational Meeting-Nagel LC. ALL Parents and swimmers should attend.
- 7:00pm-8:00 pm- Suit Fitting with Swimville after meeting at Nagel.
- November 4th - First week of practice at Turpin (Monday / Wednesday only)
- November 11th
- Picture Day- 5:15 Nagel Gym
- Winter Sports Parent Meeting- 6:30 pm. Cafetorium.
- Swim Suit Orders are due to Swimville by 6:00 pm.
- November 12th- Winter Sports Student-Athlete Meeting- Cafetorium.
November 30th “Pay to Participate” due. https://www.locallevelevents.com/events/details/7458